If you are facing the risk of foreclosure, then chances are that your finances are not looking very good. Because of that, though, you should never make the mistake of trying to handle a foreclosure by yourself, or else risk serious consequences later on. Here are just some of the reasons why you should hire a lawyer to help you handle your foreclosure proceedings:
- You do not know all of the legal options available to you
- The primary reason to hire a lawyer for foreclosure proceedings is that, unless you are also a lawyer with experience handling foreclosures, they probably know more about foreclosure law than you do. This means they know the full range of legal options available to you, which they can help you turn to your advantage. If you do not hire a lawyer, you may never even know what you lost the opportunity to do.
- A lawyer can handle the complicated legal work for you
- Even relatively straightforward foreclosure proceedings can be very paperwork intensive, and involve a lot of complicated legal filings. A lawyer can perform this complicated work for you, saving you a great deal of time and stress. A lawyer is also far less likely to make a serious error, which could cost you a great deal, literally and figuratively.
- It may cost you more to not have a lawyer
- Many people are reluctant to hire a lawyer to help handle their foreclosure because of the possible expense. However, this can backfire, as a lack of legal representation can mean more time in court, more legal fees, and more problems that arise due to trying to handle everything yourself. Because of this, it can turn out to be more expensive to avoid a lawyer than to hire one from the start.
- You may be able to avoid a foreclosure entirely
- There are a number of options available to people facing foreclosure proceedings that can potentially help them avoid getting foreclosed on. This can include things like renegotiating the terms of your mortgage, or engaging in a short sale of your property. Without a lawyer, you may not even know what these options entail, much less how to use them to benefit yourself.
- You have enough to worry about
- If you are being foreclosed on, you have more than enough to deal with already without needing to struggle through a foreclosure. Let an experienced foreclosure attorney help you with your case to give you the best chance possible at a good outcome in your case. The sooner you call, the sooner they can get to work representing you.
At David J. Lorber & Associates, PLLC, we assist clients throughout New York who are at risk of losing their homes to foreclosure. We will explain your options and guide you in making the best decision for your circumstances. Call us at (631) 750-0900 or contact us online to schedule your Free consultation at our Setauket office.